Sunday, December 2, 2012

Up, Up, and Away

Random fact about my husband: He is never surprised!

You know why?  It's because he is a snooper and nosey.  I recall his mother telling me that he was the one that would shake the Christmas presents and always guess what was inside.  One year, for his birthday, I went to surprise him with something, and he went snooping around in my email.  The boy purposely never is surprised.

For an early Christmas gift, I scored big on a Living Social deal to get him 90-minutes of pilot lessons...30 minutes were on the ground, and the remaining hour he would be flying a plane, something he's dreamed of, but never done before.  I made sure I covered all my basis, I didn't tell the kids, I took pictures of my emails and then erased them, erased voice mails and phone numbers, hid the paperwork, made sure our bank statement didn't divulge any details, etc. Phew!

We got in the car with the kids and I told him that he was in charge of driving, and I'd tell him exactly where to go.  The whole way there, he was trying to get me to give him hints...it was killing him not to know.  When we pulled up to the Dallas Executive Airport, things started to get a little obvious, but he honestly thought we were just going on a helicopter or plane ride; he never guessed that he would be in control of a plane.

When we checked in and got the waiver and such signed, I finally told him exactly what he was going to do...he said it was so surreal.  I asked him if he was nervous, but with a big smile, he told me no.  I could have got a babysitter for the kids and flew with him, but I opted to stay back with the kids.  He did such a great job taking off and flying the plane, Shawn and his instructor flew all the way to Ennis, Texas, about 6500 ft. in the air.  He said the experience was really cool and was super thankful...he definitely gets to mark this off his bucket list.

Random fact about my husband:  He gets surprised, in fact, he loves surprises.





0 comments: